Wednesday 12 June 2013

Rookie in the Kitch...Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Prepping my work station
Finished salsa and guacamole
Assembling my wrap...
Voila...ready to eat! Yummo!

My Verdict: Praiseworthy. As you've noticed I've been on a make your own food kick these days. Here's a recipe I thought would go great with the corn I made. I was feeling very fiesta! Love Mexican food and miss my gf dearly (that's you Cecilia!).

What you'll need...
1 head of lettuce or you can use taco shells, corn tortilla or even rice paper

For the salsa:
3 tomatoes (mine were relatively on the smaller side, however you can use 2 med or larges if you love tomatoes)
1/4 of an onion (I used a red onion, sweet is fine too)
1 clove of garlic
handful of cilantro
1 wedge of lime
salt and pepper to taste
(I'm not a fan of too much onion or garlic, so use your discretion)

Chop the tomatoes, (I got rid of the insides) onions, and mince the garlic and cilantro, place all in bowl and squeeze lime onto it. Add salt and pepper and mix. Set aside for the juices to mingle :)

For the guacamole:
1 ripe avocado use 2 if you want to use some as dip
1/4 of an onion (I used a red onion, sweet is fine too)
1 clove of garlic
handful of cilantro
1 wedge of lime
salt and pepper to taste

Place avocado in bowl and using a fork to mash until a creamy consistency(or if you prefer more chunky). Add chopped onions, minced garlic and cilantro. Add lime, salt and pepper to taste. Combine all the ingredients. Feel free to add more lime or other ingredients if you prefer...

For chicken:
1 skinless chicken breast (I used half)
1 Old El Passo taco seasoning mix (I used approx 2 teaspoons to season my half chicken breast)

In a pot, bring water to a boil (medium-high heat). Place cubed chicken in and cook for 5-7 minutes(depends how large you cut your chicken). Drain water, set at medium low heat and add a small amount of water and taco seasoning. Let simmer until liquid is reduced, stirring occasionally. (instructions are on the packet) I did mine for 10 - 15 minutes.

This made 7 wraps, plenty for 2 people. Don't forget you have corn on the cob as a side! I finished my meal with a peach. Yummo!!!

Readers if you try any of these recipes would love to see pics :D feel free to leave them as a comment here or @kngap on Instagram!
Happy cooking!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment